Vegetable Soup for the Gut
By Kylie Dowling (Nutritionist at Max Sports Physiotherapy Clinic)
This recipe is a base to get you started on a yummy vegetable soup. But you can you change around the vegetables – just use what you have in the fridge!
2 tablespoon coconut oil
2 medium onions, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
2 celery sticks, washed and chopped
1 leeks, washed and sliced
1 teaspoon grated turmeric
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon grated ginger
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
2 carrots, washed and cubed
2 bay leaves
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
2 cups cooked free range chicken, shredded
2 L bone broth (go to www.nutritioninsideout.com.au for recipe)
1 cup pumpkin, peeled and cubed
3 cup green kale, de-stemmed and chopped
500g zucchini noodles
Olive oil or other good quality oil to serve
Handful of fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
- In a large pot, heat coconut oil over medium heat, and sauté the chopped onions, garlic, celery, leek and all the dry spices and herbs until fragrant and translucent
- Add carrots and cook for a further 5 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Add bay leaves, vinegar, bone broth or water, chicken and pumpkin, cook on medium until pumpkin and other vegetables have softened, about 35 minutes.
- Now add the chopped green leaves and noodles and cook for a further 3 – 5 minutes until tender
- Serve with a drizzle of oil such as UDO’S Choice and fresh chopped parsley.
For more yummy recipes and tips on gut health, contact Kylie at Max Sports Physiotherapy Clinic for an appointment!